Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Stressy stress

Ah. The upcoming months before going abroad. Always the most stressful moments. I'm trying my best to remain relaxed and optimistic. But the whole "down $2,600" bit is extremely hard to put aside.

This is going to be an emo-heavy post.

We're fixing this situation through e-mails, which can be cryptic. I figured the only way to get the money is to ask FinAid. Dad sent them emails, they replied saying sure whatever (yay??), only now I'm being told that they're giving his loans more money, which is no bueno. I hate that I'm doing this to my father. I know it's not my fault that my mom was suddenly diagnosed with cancer - and any money we would have had is non-existant now.

They said studying abroad isn't too expensive. This is because all the money is first going toward your home school, then essentially & indirectly, the affiliated the school. It was supposed to be "easysauce" but it's getting complicated. Firstly, plane tickets are expensive. I have no clue how to handle money like that (yes. I am a child.) so my dad's taking care of it. I can tell you that I can get a free ticket from Southwest due frequent flier miles - it would take me to the west coast where I can get another plane to Japan. And it's coming out to be the same price as it'd be without the reward...? How does that work?

Whatever.

Secondly, I'm living in an apartment with a May to May lease. The apartment is great. I can live with my boyfriend without any problems, and it's nice. Problem is that I'm leaving March 31st - and Kinjo offers apartments themselves, not so much dorm rooms; gotta pay monthly rent, electric, water, all that. The landlord at my apartment was very nice in letting me change my lease from August to August next year and keep the same rates. But I've still gotta pay two extra months rent for April and May. Despair!

I've also gotta find a rental cellphone for when I'm over there. Another big price for my bill.

Everything seemed good before. We could afford the plane ticket, we weren't worrying about the extra months. I was guaranteed a scholarship (80,000 yen a month anyone?) by Noo-sensei, only I've heard nothing about it from Kinjo. I sent them another e-mail about it, and I feel absolutely horrible. They're letting me into the school, I get to experience Japan, and I'm essentially harassing them to give me money Y__Y

Oh well. So until then, I'm trying to treat this "break" like summer - but with snow. I won't be able to relax and get fat when I get back! I'll have about two weeks until WVU's fall semester. Then winter break. And then a spring semester.

So - shut up and let me sleep =P

No comments:

Post a Comment