Saturday, April 2, 2011

In Japan... Finally

Aw, jeeze. Finally a post. Sorry. I've been waiting to try to get a plug adapter for my laptop (using Chelsea's right now). There aren't any electronic stores nearby, so I have to either find someone to take me to the mall tomorrow, or wait until Monday for some helpful people to take me. Until then, I'm shaking from being forced away from my laptop for so long. (I have a problem...) Seriously though, the culture shock isn't as bad as last night, but my social life (parents & boyfriend) really helps put me at ease. Also, the familiarity that is my Asus. I've been so fidgety and panicky. Should subside once I'm able to get back on my home-sweet-home computer.

So I'm ridiculously sleepy, but I'll try my best to talk about everything that happened =] Waiting for it to be a decent time in the States so I have a chance to aim with the boyfriend.

Let's add a page break~ This is a looong one.


The plane ride wasn't so bad, but I'm definitely never doing that ever again. (Except, you know, going home. And then visiting Japan again.) First flight was an hour to Chicago on a tiny plane that scared me, but it passed pretty quickly. Ate at the Friday's there and forgot how ridiculously overpriced airports can be. $22 for a drink, a split appetizer, and burger sliders. Guh.
Nomnomnom.

Second flight was the big'n - Chicago to Tokyo. About 13 hours. Ughhh. I didn't do anything except watch their movies - tried playing my DS, but my neighbors AC was hurting my eyes, so. I didn't. Nor did I read... But, I did get to watch Burlesque, which I had been wanting. It was alright. It was the only movie that kept my attention. Cher should stop being 80 years old before deciding to dress like a slut. For real. Oh, I got no sleep on this plane ride except for the last 4 hours. I tried watching the Last Airbender. Passed out, apparently. Floated in limbo before I remembered I was on a plane and opened my eyes. Three hours had passed! Hot damn!
Yay almost there!

So, we're finally in Tokyo. Have to go through customs. It wasn't anything special, no problems - just tedious. Lots of forms to fill out, getting our bags, actual customs, checking our bags again, and then finding our gate. Fun stuff. But! We did get on the plane. And it was surprisingly very large for being only 45 minutes long. And then we were there. A very nice taxi driver man picked us up and took us to the residence hall. PS, Japanese streets are narrow and scary.

That night was pretty bad for me. I had gotten no sleep except maybe the 3 hours previously mentioned. And whenever I'm crazy sleepy (er, whenever anyone is crazy sleepy, I guess) I choose an emotion and amplify it to the max - sadness, anger, whatever. Welllll, I get to my room (which is otherwise lovely!) and find that all my plugs are 2-prong, and I didn't bring any adapters. My laptops charger is 3...... DESPAIR! I am instantly in emo-ville, population 1 because I felt so insanely alone in the world. It was awful. Damn hormones. I took a shower (ps love my shower), got into my PJs, and forced my presence upon Chelsea (poor girl just wanted to sleep). I needed company so I didn't kill myself xD (exaggeration! Amg.) She had to deal with my suppressed blubbering, and then I went back to my room and cried myself to sleep. Wow.

Ended up waking up at 5am after falling asleep at around 11 or 12. Curse you jet lag! I couldn't for the life of me get back to sleep... So! I got on my computer and used the last of my battery to talk to Sean on Skype. (Was so desperate to get ahold of the AFK bugger that I gave Skype $10 just to call his mobile.) I was halfway emo on skype, halfway relieved to talk to him, but I felt tons better after I hung up. <3

Couldn't fall back asleep, so I unpacked all my things - rather slowly to pass the time.

My room is lovely. And pretty huge. The pictures don't give it justice. Only things I dislike is one of my views (a wall. nice.) and my carpet has a wrinkle I can't straighten out. Grr. There are probably other things I dislike too, but for the most part, I <3 it.


Click to Enlargen
The view from my door~

Take your shoes off please! :D

The bathroom is so tiny, but functional <3

I has kitchennn.

All nice and organized~

Make up & hair station. Cause why not.

View from my veranda. Pretty.



Today, after all my unpacking and random nothings, an instructor from Kinjo's CIEP came over for a very brief Orientation. She basically just explained how the rooms work (washing machine and AC are all in Kanji!), and then took us out for a very brief tour of the town we're in. This included a small grocery store, the train station, and the drug store. No plug adapters could be found. Sadness. She left us all alone afterward so we decided to go grocery shopping. Wow. Were we a couple of helpless Gaijin... Couldn't figure out what anything was (besides, you know, the fruits and vegetables and fish), so I ended up only buying a bunch of ramen-looking things, some tea, and lunch. Lunch included onigiri (delicious~) and mitarashi dango (disgusting).

Added up to $24 in US currency! Oh well.

Oh, by the way. There's another girl here by the name of Natalia, she's from Poland, and has been hanging out with us. Forgot to mention. She's pretty cool. =]

So this evening Chelsea's boyfriend visited and we went out for sushi. I was crazy excited for him to bring one of his extra adapters, but he forgot. All is well, we may or may not be seeing him tomorrow. Can I go another evening?! Oh, but the sushi was good. It was the cheap conveyor belt kind, where you pay based on what type of plate you grabbed. Fun stuff.

Er. Went home and I grabbed Chelsea's computer. End.

Here's to hoping I get to use my own laptop tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. sounds so exciting. very happy for my lorlor.
    Hope you are behaving!
    take more pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did not "subject" me to your emo-ness. I understood completely. Lol. =)

    ReplyDelete